It has been a bit too long since my last post! My last post was about some updates on the user stories and the wireframes.
I had been using Pencil to make most of my wireframes. More often than not,I would end up having to search for a lot of other wireframing tools since not all elements in the wireframes could be achieved with Pencil itself. So,if Pencil did not fulfill my requirements,I would move to Chrome extension of Balsalmiq and a lot more other extensions which I did not use more than once. This was frustrating and I finally decided to learn to use Inkscape for creating better high-fidelity mockups. Before starting to use the application directly to create mockups, I read Máirín Duffy’s tutorial on creating mockups. This is a great starting place to learn the basics . But the more you use Inkscape, the more you learn.
In the following iterations,we also moved from a tabbed layout to putting the two features parallel to each other to the current layout. The current iteration has the “Access Port” feature on the top and the “Traffic log” at the bottom. Here is a snippet of the mockup iterations:
A) This is more like a wireframe than a mockup and was made using Pencil.
B)Second Iteration: Parallel layout of features. This mockup has a lot of inconsistencies .I was still learning to create objects and move them,but Inkscape’s “Cusp to the corner” feature would frustrate me especially because I still hadn’t realised that I could simply use the arrow keys to move around the objects. Silly,right?!
C)Third iteration: This is the most current mockup and I have been able to modify lots of small (but important)details in this iteration. The error states for the “Traffic Log” needs some more work to include cases where the data present is large.
Meanwhile,I had also started implementing the UI to get a feel of the mockups in Cockpit. While it was comparatively easy to implement tables and insert content using HTML,it was a bit difficult for me to get the dialog box for “Add port” running. This week I finally (FINALLY!) got it running and that made me super happy 😀 One more lesson I learnt while trying to get the code working is that the best way to learn to code ( faster and better) is to read ,understand and play around with codes of existing applications ( definitely in your fork of the application’s repo 😛 )
More to come in the next week!